Once you know that you are ready to retire, there are a number of steps you need to complete. This page provides a “checklist” of the steps to complete.
Notify your Department
- Inform your department in writing about your upcoming retirement and what your last day at work will be.
Most departments request a of two months notice prior to your last day . Some bargaining units may require additional lead time – check your collective agreement.
Once your retirement notice has been accepted, it is irrevocable.
- Make arrangements to use up all your vacation/floater prior to your last day of employment.
- For individuals who use up their remaining vacation immediately prior to retirement, your last day of could be after your last day physically .
- Speak with your department about their last day procedures. You may need to hand in equipment, keys, etc. Parking passes are returned directly to the Parking Office
- Please note:
- Under the UPP, retirements are processed on the last day of the month. Your retirement date and last day as an employee would both be the last day of a month.
Contact Human Resources
Contact Human Resources a minimum of three months prior to retirement, ideally after you have provided notice to your department, email email@example.com to request your retirement package. Include your date of retirement in this email. Human Resources will then provide you with your retirement package.