914 - Smoking in the Workplace Policy
Effective: September 2000
Reviewed: April 2014, November 2016, May 2019
Revised: May 31, 2019
Smoke Free Ontario Act, 2017 S.O. 2017 c.26, Sched. 3
SFOA General Regulation 268/18
Ontario Fire Code, O. Reg. 213/07 Section 2.4.3.
Guelph Smoking By-Law,(2019)-20379
- This policy applies to all employees (faculty and staff), students, visitors, and contractors on the University of Guelph Ridgetown campus and any of the University’s research stations.
- The University of Guelph main campus and all University owned, leased or rented vehicles, regardless of location, are governed by the Tobacco & Smoke-Free Policy which replaced this policy for those locations effective May 31, 2019.
- Smoking is prohibited:
- In any enclosed public place or any enclosed workplace including all University buildings, University residences and University vehicles (while on or off University property) and in any building space that is owned, managed or leased by the University.
- Within 9 metres (30ft) of any University building entrance or exit, loading dock, fresh air intake or compressed gas storage area.
- On University sports fields and surfaces.
- On bar and restaurant patios on all University owned, managed or leased properties.
- On children’s playgrounds and in public spaces within 20 metres of the playground.
- All smokers are expected to use the external cigarette waste receptacles (ashtrays) as provided by the University.
- The only exemption to this policy are:
- a person who smokes or holds lighted tobacco or cannabis or who uses an electronic cigarette in a scientific research and testing facility for the purpose of conducting research or testing concerning tobacco products, cannabis or vapour products, as the case may be.
- any Indigenous person or persons accompanied by an Indigenous person smoking tobacco or holding lighted tobacco for a traditional Indigenous cultural or spiritual ceremony.
for the purpose of this policy smoking includes smoking or holding lighted tobacco or cannabis, including but not limited to the carrying of a lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe or any other lighted smoking devices, and the use of electronic cigarettes.
Enclosed workplace (as per Smoke Free Ontario Act)
an enclosed place, building or structure that employees work in or frequent during the course of their employment whether or not they are acting in the course of their employment at the time and is covered by a roof.
Enclosed public place (as per Smoke Free Ontario Act)
an enclosed place, building, structure or vehicle to which the public is ordinarily invited or permitted access whether or not a fee is charged for entry and is covered by a roof.