Accidents Involving Farm & Heavy Equipment on Public Roads

Each University of Guelph operator must have a valid G driver's license in order to operate farm or heavy equipment on public highways and roadways. Operators must carry their driver's license with them at all times. Non-employees are not permitted to operate University of Guelph farm equipment.


1. Stop:

  • If you are involved in an accident, it is mandatory that you remain at the scene.

2. Protect Yourself and the Accident Scene:

  • If it is safe to do so, get out of the farm equipment - always make sure that you are not endangering yourself or anyone else.
  • If you or the farm or heavy equipment is in danger of being struck by traffic, drive to the side of the road if possible
  • If it is not possible to drive to the side of the road, turn on hazard lights, and if it is safe to do so, take suitable steps to re-route traffic.

3. Inform/Call:

  • Immediately report the accident to the nearest provincial or municipal police detachment by dialling 9-1-1. Inform 9-1-1 dispatch if medical attention is required.
  • Call and inform your Supervisor of the accident.
    • The Supervisor must report the incident to the Univeristy of Guelph's Treasury Department at 519-824-4120 ext. 52863.

4. Report:

  • Answer all questions asked by the Police and/or Emergency Responders.
  • Report to the Police if there is any damage to any shrub, tree, pole light, sign, sod or any other property on the highway (including shoulder, boulevards and other parts of the road allowance) or to a section bordering the highway.
  • Refrain from voluntarily assume liability or take responsibility, signing or making statements regarding fault at the scene of the accident.
  • Ownership, insurance or driver license information should be exchanged with the Police, your Supervisor or University Department and the University's Treasury Office only.

5. Record Information:

  • Where possible take pictures of the scene and brief notes on what happened, for example;
    • date and time
    • estimated speed farm equipment was travelling
    • location
    • weather conditions
    • road conditions
    • any mitigating circumstances
    • damages incurred
  • In the case of a minor incident, record the names or license plate numbers of any witnesses, if possible.

6. University Incident and Injury Reporting:

  • Complete the University Incident and Injury reporting process to report an injury to an employee or student that has resulted from a farm equipment accident. The University of Guelph Incident Report Form is to be completed and submitted to Occupational Health and Wellness (OHW) by fax at 519-780-1796 or by email to