Workplace Violence Prevention Policy
Effective: September 2000
Revised: January 2017
Reviewed: January 2021
Signature/Position: Vice-President, Finance, Administration and Risk
The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), R.S.O. 1990
Criminal Code of Canada
This Policy applies to all workers as defined by the OHSA and includes all employees of the University, while acting in a capacity defined by their relationship to the University. This Policy addresses Workplace Violence from all sources such as employees, customers, contractors, students and members of the public.
Workplace Violence means:
- The exercise of physical force by a person against a worker, in a workplace, that causes or could cause physical injury to the worker.
- An attempt to exercise physical force against a worker, in a workplace, that could cause physical injury to the worker
- A statement or behaviour that is reasonable for a worker to interpret as a threat to exercise physical force against the . worker, in a workplace, that could cause physical injury to a worker in a workplace.
- Workplace Violence is prohibited at the University of Guelph.
- Workers are encouraged to report Workplace Violence. Managers and supervisors are responsible for responding to allegations of Workplace Violence in accordance with this Policy.
- The University will investigate all complaints or incidents of Workplace Violence as appropriate, in a fair, respectful and timely manner and in accordance with its policies and employee agreements.
- Information provided about a complaint or incident will not be disclosed except to the extent necessary to protect workers, to investigate the complaint or incident, to take corrective action or as otherwise required by law.
- Complaints or allegations of Workplace Violence should immediately be reported to a supervisor, a person in authority or Campus Community Police/Local Policing Authority.
- It is a breach of this Policy for any person to take reprisal against any individual because they have participated in a process under this Policy. A written allegation of reprisal will be treated as a complaint under this Policy.
To report Workplace Violence see the Workplace Violence Reporting Form
For further reference see the Workplace Violence Prevention Program