COVID-19: Guidance for Employees Travelling in a Vehicle
Reminder for all employees:
- If you feel sick, stay home, DO NOT come to campus/work and inform your supervisor.
- If you become sick while at work, STOP what you are doing, isolate yourself from others. Put on a face covering and wash your hands. Go home as soon as possible. Avoid public transit and take measures to protect others around you. Inform your Supervisor.
- If you are ill/have symptoms, do not come to campus/work. Ensure that you complete the Ontario COVID-19 Self-Assessment and follow the direction given. Also, complete and submit the University Employee Self Declaration Form. Refer to U of G webpage “What to do when you’re sick or have been exposed” for more information.
Measures to follow for travel together in a vehicle for university business:
Wear a Medical Mask
- Everyone inside the vehicle is required to wear a medical mask during each trip
- Follow the EHS COVID-19: Guidance for Using Medical Masks
- Avoid eating and drinking (removing your mask) while travelling in a vehicle unless physical distancing of 2 metres is maintained.
- When possible, drive with the windows open or partially open to maximize the air flow.
- Wash/sanitize your hands upon arrival at your destination.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- There is a low risk associated with COVID-19 transmission from touching a contaminated surface.
- However, be mindful of high touch surfaces such as door frame/handles, windows, seatbelt buckles, and steering wheel and always practice good hygiene.
- In addition to the tools, parts and/or equipment required for the job, you may wish to take extra medical masks and hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol (optional).
- Cough or sneeze into the elbow or a tissue, even with a face mask on.
- Dispose of any tissues used as soon as possible in a garbage bag.