Effective: September 2000
Reviewed: July 2017
Revised: July 2017
Signature/Position: Vice-President, Finance, Administration and Risk
Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), R.S.O. 1990
This Policy applies to all University of Guelph programs and facilities that may host volunteers.
- Only employees authorized by their Directors or department Chairs shall accept persons as volunteers at the University of Guelph.
- Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) shall be consulted about volunteer activities that may include direct involvement with laboratory work, use of chemicals, biohazards, radioactive sources, operation of motorized equipment or handling of animals.
- Information related to the potential or inherent risks associated with the volunteer activity shall be provided to the prospective volunteer prior to the commencement of the volunteer service.
- All volunteers must complete and sign the Release and Indemnity for Volunteers form which can also be obtained from the Insurance Office.
- Prospective volunteers shall be given time to read and understand the Release and Indemnity for Volunteers form and to seek advice about the form, if requested.
- Copies of completed Release and Indemnity for Volunteers forms shall be forwarded to the Insurance Office prior to a volunteer commencing any volunteering activity.
- Orientation, and training, shall be provided for all volunteers at the commencement of their volunteer service.
- Authorized employees shall provide supervision for all volunteers throughout their service.