Occupational Disability - A Workplace Injury or Illness - Employee's Responsibilities

Employee's Responsibilities

  • If you are injured or ill due to a workplace incident, and require medical attention, please seek appropriate treatment (for example, hospital emergency, walk-in clinic, doctor’s office, first aid, etc.).
  • In the event of a medical emergency, immediately call Campus Community Police at ext. 52000 or 519-840-5000 or the Local Policing Authority at 911.
  • For an injury or illness that is not a medical emergency but may be serious in nature, as to require health care, connect with your supervisor or manager, who will arrange transportation to an appropriate medical facility. 
  • For minor injuries, seek first aid treatment from your departmental first aid trained employee(s), or
    • If your department does not have a first aid kit, or trained first aid employees, please contact Occupational Health and Wellness (OHW) at ext. 52647 or Campus Police at ext. 52000 or 519-840-5000.
  • Report all work-related incidents, illnesses and injuries immediately to your supervisor. You and your supervisor must complete the University’s Illness or Injury Incident Report and submit by fax 519-780-1796 or upload to the OHW Secure Drive within 24 hours.
  • Should you require medical attention, obtain the Injury Package from your supervisor. The package includes a WSIB Functional Abilities Form (FAF), a letter to the employee and a letter to your health care practitioner outlining specific requirements. 
  • The FAF will need to be completed by a physician or regulated healthcare practitioner. Your capabilities, restrictions, duration of restrictions, and physician’s signature must be indicated on the FAF. Please ensure the FAF is completed and returned by fax 519-780-1796, or upload to the OHW Secure Drive before your next workday.
  • In accordance with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act (WSIA), the University will offer modified or accommodated work. OHW will assist with the implementation of suitable modified work and accommodations as required.
  • If you miss any work as a result of your injury or illness, contact your supervisor immediately to advise of your absence. You will need to submit medical documentation to OHW and WSIB regarding the absence.
  • In the event you seek medical attention following the initial incident, please notify your supervisor.
  • Please remain in contact with your supervisor and OHW throughout your recovery period. Regularly updated FAFs will be required until you resume your full regular hours and duties.