Occupational Disability - A Workplace Injury or Illness - Manger/Supervisor Responsibilities

Manager/Supervisor Responsibilities:  

  • Immediately, upon notification of a workplace incident resulting in a personal injury or illness, arrange for the injured or ill employee to obtain appropriate medical attention as required.
  • In the event of a medical emergency, immediately call Campus Community Police at ext. 52000 or 519-840-5000 or the Local Policing Authority at 911.
  • For an injury or illness that is not a medical emergency but may be serious in nature as to require healthcare, please arrange transportation to an appropriate medical facility (for example,  walk-in clinic, doctor’s office etc.)
  • For minor injuries, seek first aid treatment from the departmental first aid trained employee(s), or
    • If your department does not have a first aid kit, or trained first aid employees, please contact Occupational Health and Wellness (OHW) at ext. 52647 or Campus Police at ext. 52000 or 519-840-5000.
  • Report all work related incident, illnesses, and injuries immediately by completing the University’s Illness and Injury Incident Report and submitting it by fax (519) 780-1796 or upload to the OHW Secure Drive within 24 hours.
  • Copies of the Illness or Injury Incident Report must also be sent to the employee’s bargaining group  and the Local Joint Health and Safety Committee (LJHSC) as applicable.
  • In the event of a workplace injury or illness where medical attention was required or may potentially be required, provide the employee with an Injury Package which includes: the WSIB Functional Abilities Form (FAF), a letter to the employee, and a letter to the health care practitioner.  
  • Advise the employee that the FAF will need to be completed by a physician or regulated healthcare practitioner and returned by fax 519-780-1796, or upload to the OHW Secure Drive before their next workday.
  • In accordance with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act (WSIA), the University is required to offer injured or ill employees modified duties. Please provide your employee a written offer of modified duties, which are task specific and within their abilities. If you require assistance on this, please contact OHW by email, or at ext. 52647.
  • If the employee seeks medical attention at any time after the initial incident, or does not come to work because of the incident, please contact OHW by email, or at ext. 52647 immediately.