Commonly Asked Questions about Working Here

1) What is the wage?

Our part-time hospitality positions pay above minimum wage with increases beginning after 12 months of continuous employment. As these positions are represented by the University of Guelph Food Services Employee Association, Unit 2 (UGFSEA, Unit 2), a comprehensive wage grid can be viewed on our Human Resources website.

2) How many hours can I average?

Part-time shifts are typically 3-5 hours long.  Total hours per week for part-time staff can range from 8 hours to a maximum of 24 hours per week.

3) Do I have to commit to the same work days each week?  

There are a variety of shifts available starting as early as 6:00 am and ending as late as 1:00 am.  We will make best efforts to work with you around scheduling based on the department's operational needs and shifts available.

4) What else should I be prepared for?

Shifts are busy, expect to be on your feet.  Some jobs may require you to lift 15-30lbs.

5)  Do staff have parking privileges?  

Only vehicles displaying a valid University of Guelph parking permit are allowed to park in the colour coded parking zones between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday except statutory holidays recognized by the University.  To read more about parking regulations and parking permit options see the Sustainable Transportation & Parking Services webpage.  Alternatively, Guelph Transit Bus Passes are available at a reduced rate for all full and part-time employees of the University of Guelph.     

6) What does 'seasonal' work mean?

A typical seasonal work period runs from late August until late April. Layoff periods typically include up to three weeks at Christmas, one week in February and during the spring/summer months of May, June, July & August. Different operating units have different requirements.

7) Am I guaranteed to work a single position?

Staff can expect to be rotated between roles depending on business requirements offering varied experience and new challenges.

8) What kind of training will I get?

We approach training of our staff in a very interactive and practical manner which typically consists of supervised hands-on experience and job shadowing.  

9) Does the University issue uniforms for Hospitality Staff?

A uniform will be provided.  All employees must provide their own black pants and black non-slip shoes.  Upon submission of a CSA approved receipt, the University shall provide active part-time UGFSEA Unit 2 members who have completed six (6) months of continuous employment a safety shoe subsidy as per the UGFSEA, Unit 2 Collective Agreement.