2013-2014 Leave for Change Volunteers Announced
Eight members of the University of Guelph community have been selected to participate in Leave for Change for 2013-2014.
“The response from the University community this year was wonderful,” said Martha Harley, Assistant Vice-President (Human Resources). “We could not ignore the talent and passion of the candidates.”
The two U of G professors and six staff members who were selected will volunteer their knowledge and skills overseas during short assignments in developing countries before March 2014.
Harley added that the Leave for Change program showcases the diverse range and depth of skills and experience of U of G’s staff and faculty.
“Leave for Change offers an opportunity for staff and faculty to do their part in building a better planet by contributing their skills and knowledge in communities where they can really make a difference,” said Harley.
Volunteer assignments and travel dates are being finalized for the following eight volunteers:
- Frederique Arroyas - Associate Professor, French Studies, School of Languages and Literatures
- Trish Dean - Administrative Assistant, Office of Investment Management
- Mario Deschamps - Special Constable, Campus Police
- Abeir El Arqusosi - Manager, Government Relations & Executive Assistant to the Vice-President (Research & External Partnerships)
- Mary Fowler – Manager, Campus Animal Facilities
- Kian Merrikh - Manager, Marketing, Communications, & Learner Services, Open Learning and Educational Support
- Denise Mohan - Assistant Professor, Hispanic Studies, School of Languages and Literatures
- Ron Ward - Senior Research Officer, Library & CCS
Leave for Change is offered in partnership with Uniterra, a joint initiative of World University Service of Canada (WUSC) and the Centre for International Studies and Co-operation.