Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Office, Clerical and Technical
Campus Safety Office
(Less than 24 hours a week)
Please apply by emailing email@example.com and sending you:
- Cover Letter
The Campus Safety Office is looking for part-time temporary Dispatchers to be part of our team with a goal of keeping our campus community safe. This is an ideal position for someone who likes working in a fast-paced team environment, has a flexible schedule and a strong desire to help others.
Do you qualify? Requirements for this position include:
- Completion of secondary school education
- Ability to successfully complete the Emergency Services Communications program (internal training program)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent keyboarding, data entry and computer skills with accuracy
- Proficiency in MS Excel, MS Word, Email, and other related software is essential
- Ability to organize and prioritize is essential
- Demonstrated good judgement, accurate recall, decision making under stressful situations
- Strong interpersonal skills with excellent oral and written communication are essential
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work 12-hour shifts
This position reports to the Manager of Emergency Planning and Administration, Campus Safety Office, with direction from the shift Sergeants. The responsibilities for this position include:
- Intake of requests for assistance from the public, staff and students
- Intake of all emergency calls for assistance on campus and dispatch of appropriate response by police, fire prevention or first response team personnel
- Reception for Campus Community Police – in person and telephone inquiries
- Monitor multi-alarm computer system and direct response to fire alarms, building supervisory alarms, intrusion alarms and personal safety alarms.
- Document events and actions within the internal records management system software
- Communicate with campus emergency personnel by way of two-way radio or phone
- Liaise with the Guelph Police Service dispatch and records units from time to time
- Support parking enforcement personnel with general inquiries and tow situations by way of radio and telephone
- Provide clerical support as required and other duties as assigned
This position involves shift work – 12-hour shifts rotating between days (6:30 am – 6:30 pm) and nights (6:30 pm -6:30 am). It also requires work on weekends and statutory holidays as the work unit provides service 24 hours per day and seven days per week.
Candidates selected following initial review must complete and be able to pass: computerized testing; interview(s); security clearance; background investigation; and references checks before final selection of employment.
Hourly rate $23.83 - $26.63 per hour
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.