Manager, Network Infrastructure
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Manager, Network Infrastructure
Computing and Communications Services
Hiring #: 2020-0420
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Computing and Communications Services (CCS) is the central IT department on campus, providing IT infrastructure and central technology services to the University of Guelph community. CCS has a progressive organizational culture, including a strong learning and development focus, and is committed to its core values: service culture, integrity, individual leadership, teamwork, agility and communication.
Reporting to the Director, Technology Operations CCS, the Manager of Network Infrastructure is responsible for the planning, development and maintenance of the continually evolving enterprise voice and data networking infrastructure on campus (including communication closets, two data center locations and remote campuses); the network security solutions which supports the Information Security team (InfoSec) and is jointly responsible for collaboration solutions. This responsibility includes the traditional management functions in an Information Technology (IT) environment, including: all staffing responsibilities (hiring, developing, coordinating, etc.), service delivery planning, budgeting, cost management, departmental administration, and interaction with an array of industry and business partners to ensure planning and deployment of leading edge solutions in this dynamic field.
The Manager is part of a CCS Management Team responsible for developing and communicating a vision for the organization, influencing its direction, and leading the planning and implementation focused on technical and organizational direction.
Requirements of the position include:
- An undergraduate degree in computer science/information technology, or related field with corresponding IT certifications plus a minimum of seven (7) years related experience in team leadership, complex project management and large budget facilitation.
- Comprehensive IT knowledge of data and voice collaboration and communication systems including wired, wireless networks (CISCO is highly preferred) and network security.
- Strong analytical ability and excellent interpersonal, communications and conflict resolution skills are a must as well as demonstrated aptitude in superior planning, administration and people management.
- The ability to think and act quickly and effectively under pressure, exercising tact, diplomacy, discretion and good judgment.
- Knowledge of distributed cloud strategies, including integration and operation; network security strategy; agile project and service delivery; experience supporting development teams following DevOps methodologies using Azure Devops; concepts of digital transformation; current industry trends and direction; contract management and service level agreements is considered a strong asset.
- The successful candidate will possess a proven track record in leadership competencies centered on big picture orientation (implementing best practices and solutions to continually improve operations); negotiations (negotiating in challenging situations with both internal and external stakeholders to achieve desired results); strategic agility (thinking strategically to improve performance and create innovation); and teambuilding (fostering collaboration, and creating an environment to engage and develop others to work congruently toward achieving common goals).
This appointment is regularly performed on- campus but will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations
Position Number 0062-003
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2021 01 11
Closing Date: 2021 02 01