Frequently Asked Questions



Am I allowed to contact my colleagues after hours?

A: The Disconnecting from Work policy is about respectful work-life boundaries. Before you send a message outside of work hours, consider whether it can wait.

How do I approach GOAL 2.0 with an employee who reports to, or does work for, two or more managers?

If there is a dual reporting relationship, both managers will want to ensure they are aligned in terms of the priorities that each have for the employee. They can each engage in quality conversations individually with the employee through the year and continue to communicate with each other. For the performance summary, they will want to coordinate the timing but hold the summary conversations separately.

If it is a matter of an employee receiving more direct supervision from an individual other than the designated manager, it will be the designated manager that holds the Performance Summary conversation but with direct input from the individual providing supervision. If the employee is in agreement, having that individual in attendance would be most effective.

How frequently should I have each quality conversation with each employee?

It really depends on the context of your work and the number of employees you have. Some managers can do a daily or weekly check-in, while others can aim for a monthly check-in. A feedback/feedforward conversation is best held as soon as there is feedback that needs to be shared. It is best to keep in mind that the more often you can have a quality conversation the stronger your relationship with your employee will be, and that is one of the biggest contributors to employee effectiveness.

What is the difference between GOAL and GOAL 2.0?

The end of the year review, that could be quite time-consuming, has been replaced by a Performance Summary conversation that applies to almost all employees (see above for exceptions) and is guided by a 2-page template. This summary will draw from notes that have been made of highlights, outcomes, decisions from quality conversations that take place through the year between the Manager and employee. Those conversations, and the skills with how they are conducted, are now the focus. This ensures that managers and employees are communicating on a regular basis so expectations and priorities can be adjusted as needed, information and ideas are exchanged regularly. 

Am I guaranteed to work a single position?

Staff can expect to be rotated between roles depending on business requirements offering varied experience and new challenges.

Are research grant and contract positions subject to Job Evaluation?

The University is committed to ensuring that all employees are treated fairly. All University jobs must be evaluated using an acceptable gender-neutral job evaluation scheme to ensure equal pay for work of equal value.

Employees in grant funded and contract positions are employees of the University and therefore all grant and contract positions must also be evaluated and banded to determine appropriate salary rates.  The attached memo provides information on compensation for these positions.

As a faculty member, am I expected to respond to student emails that arrive in the evenings or on the weekend?

A: No. Students might reach out to you with questions when they are studying or working on assignments, but you are not expected to answer their messages outside of normal working hours.

Can I submit claims if there is a need for a doctor’s note?

Some Paramedical claims require a doctor’s note (recommendation) before they can be covered by the benefit plan.  If a doctor’s note is required for a Paramedical claim and if the amount of the claim is under $100, Sun Life will complete the e-claim submission and make payment to your bank account.  However, you will be required to submit the doctor’s note to Sun Life, immediately.  If the amount of the claim is over $100, Sun Life will complete the email submission, send you an email confirmation and make payment to your account within a few business days after they receive the appropriate doctor’s note.

Doctors’ notes can be submitted by email, FAX or by regular mail.  The my Sun Life website will provide you with further details.

Can my supervisor book meetings over the lunch hour?

A: Under the Disconnecting from Work policy, employees should do their best to respect one another’s lunch and break times. If a meeting has to be booked over the lunch hour because of conflicting schedules, talk to your supervisor to ensure you still take your break, whether that is before the meeting or after.

Do I get a certificate?

Yes, you will receive an online evaluation after each program. You will automatically receive the “Certificate of Attendance” by completing the evaluation.

Do I have to commit to the same work days each week?

There are a variety of shifts available starting as early as 6:00 am and ending as late as 1:00 am.  We will make best efforts to work with you around scheduling based on the department's operational needs and shifts available.

Do I have to sign up for the whole series of programs or can I just sign up for one?

Some programs require your participation in all sessions and others allow you to register for a single session. Please see the program description on the event calendar for more information.

Do I need to follow-up with someone on my application?

The University thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.

Do I require approval to attend a learning and development program?

Some programs require your manager or supervisor’s approval prior to participation to ensure that you have support in your learning efforts. The registration system will prompt you for this information if necessary.

Do staff have parking privileges?

Only vehicles displaying a valid University of Guelph parking permit are allowed to park in the colour coded parking zones between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday except statutory holidays recognized by the University.  To read more about parking regulations and parking permit options see the Sustainable Transportation & Parking Services webpage.  Alternatively, Guelph Transit Bus Passes are available at a reduced rate for all full and part-time employees of the University of Guelph.     

Do the quality conversations need to happen in a certain order? Are any of the quality conversations more time sensitive?

The performance summary conversation is best carried out at the end of the fiscal year – between the end of April and the end of May. The objective setting conversation is best carried out between May and September as it provides clarity to employees regarding the priorities and expectations for the year. This will depend on when the unit or department does their planning, as you want to ensure that the employee is aware of the next level objectives and how their work contributes to the overall success.

Do we have senior leader support for GOAL 2.0?

Yes. Our Sr. leaders have been informed about GOAL 2.0 and there is widespread support for its implementation

Do you have any tips on giving appropriate feedback?

Feedback gives someone information about how aspects of their behavior or performance affect others. Feedback helps individuals to be aware of how their behavior is perceived by others, and it is therefore a way of helping a person consider whether to change her or his behavior in some way.

Contact Learning & Development for additional resources on giving appropriate feedback.

Do you offer specialized Learning & Development opportunities for departments?

Yes, please contact us at if you have a particular learning or development need.

Does GOAL 2.0 apply to all employees and managers at the UofG?

Faculty and Librarians at the UofG have a performance process that is unique to their roles. With the exception of CUPE members, GOAL 2.0 applies to all other employees.

Does the University issue uniforms for Hospitality Staff?

A uniform will be provided.  All employees must provide their own black pants and black non-slip shoes.  Upon submission of a CSA approved receipt, the University shall provide active part-time UGFSEA Unit 2 members who have completed six (6) months of continuous employment a safety shoe subsidy as per the UGFSEA, Unit 2 Collective Agreement.

Does the University of Guelph accept general applications?

Applications that do not specify a current hiring number will not be accepted.

How can I find out which courses I registered to participate in?

You will have received a confirmation email for each program for which you have registered. Please be sure to enter all Learning & Development dates in your calendar. A reminder notice will be emailed to you before each program begins. You can also email to ask us for a list of the programs for which you have registered.

How do I cancel a course I have already signed up for?

Please email us at or call extension 56800 to cancel a course.

How do I keep track of the programs I have taken?

You may wish to save each "Certificate of Attendance" for your records.

How do I manage my supervisor’s expectations around disconnecting from work?

A: The Disconnecting from Work policy reinforces a culture of boundaries. Speak with your supervisor about your situation and requirements for being available outside of regular hours or responding during emergencies. Reinforce your own boundaries by responding after-hours only when necessary.

How do I register for a Learning & Development opportunity?

You can register through the Event Calendar using your central login and password.

How do we know our compensation is competitive with other employers?

Human Resources reviews external market information comparing total compensation from local, regional and national comparators. This includes information reported from the private and public sector as well as government labour force data. The University sector is considered in most cases to provide ideal comparison data. The primary goal of a compensation plan is the ability to attract and retain talent to the University of Guelph across all areas.

How is the pay band determined for a position?

The total point value acquired for a position as a result of job evaluation determines the pay band for a position.

How is the rate of pay determined?

Job evaluation is not the sole determiner of pay. There are many other contributing factors that impact individual pay, such as the experience that one brings to a position when one is initially hired. The employee group also affects pay, since some groups, i.e., United Steel Workers and Exempt Staff, access an incremental system. Pay can also potentially be impacted by performance. In addition, as the University also participates in salary discussions with its employee groups, negotiations as well as market conditions play a role in determining pay.

How many hours can I average?

Part-time shifts are typically 3-5 hours long.  Total hours per week for part-time staff can range from 8 hours to a maximum of 24 hours per week.

I had a problem with my SunLife Claim. Who do I call?

Call SunLife directly at 1-800-361-6212.   Have your policy number (82010) and your 9-digit retiree number available as well as any other documentation before you call. Please note that some surviving spouses of retirees may have a 10-digit identification number.

I have a flex-hours arrangement – I often work outside of standard hours or take my lunch break other than at noon. How does this policy apply to me?

A: The University’s business hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and most employees take a lunch break from noon to 1 p.m.

This policy applies to all those employed by the University. Speak with your supervisor to ensure you both understand the parameters of how this policy will apply to your work situation.

Outside of regular hours, your colleagues and supervisor may not be available to respond to you in a timely way.

I have a pressing deadline/I am working on a time-sensitive major project that requires me to work outside of my regular working hours. How does this policy apply to me?

A: The Disconnecting from Work policy is meant to reinforce respectful boundaries for contacting employees outside of their regular working hours. While employees are permitted to contact each other outside of working hours, the policy encourages everyone to be respectful of each other’s time away from work.

When working on a deadline or on a time-sensitive project, there may be times you need to work outside of regular hours. Make sure you talk with your supervisor in advance about the situation, how long those working conditions are expected to last and how your additional work will be recorded.

I have no record of how much I paid for Health & Dental premiums. What do I do?

Call CIBC Mellon toll free at 1-800-565-0479.   This information is on your December pension payment statement and your T4A.

I need to change my address. How do I do that?

You can do that by contacting University of Guelph Human Resources by emailing or calling at 519-824-4120 ext. 53374

I need to do my income tax and don’t have my tax slips. Who do I contact?

Call CIBC Mellon toll free at 1-800-565-0479. Tax slips mailed to the home address that Human Resources has on file. They are usually sent out before the end of February for the previous calendar year.

I need to report the death of a pensioner or a pensioner’s spouse. Who do I contact?

Call University of Guelph Human Resources at 519-824-4120 ext. 56594.

I tend to think about work projects after hours. How can I make sure I get those thoughts to my colleagues before I forget while still respecting their work hours?

A: Microsoft Outlook has a Delay Delivery option for email messages. Consider using it outside of working hours to have your message arrive when business hours resume.

Learn to delay delivery of email messages in Outlook.

I want more Income Tax withheld from my monthly pension payment. Who do I call?

Call CIBC Mellon directly at 1-800-565-0479.

If a position is not included in the initial pilot test, when will the incumbent and their supervisor be invited to complete the new JIQ?

After the JJERC has had an opportunity to complete its initial sample and make any necessary enhancements to the job evaluation tools and process, other staff and supervisors will be invited to participate.  Positions in the queue will be prioritized based on their submission date.
Once the positions from the representative sample have been reviewed and evaluated, other incumbents and supervisors will then be invited to submit a JIQ to allow for efficiency and ease of tracking.

Once the system is fully implemented, job descriptions will be created for all new and existing positions and JIQs will be completed and submitted. HR will coordinate this process.

If I don't see the posting anymore, does that mean the posting closed?

Job postings are removed from the University of Guelph ‘Current Opportunities’ page by end of business on the closing date listed in the posting. Applications will be accepted for these positions until 11:59 pm.

In light of this policy, will job fact sheets be re-evaluated?

A: No, job fact sheets will not be re-evaluated or changed as a result of this policy’s implementation. Review of job fact sheets will follow current procedures and timelines.

Is GOAL 2.0 mandatory?

Supporting employee performance is an important component of all managers’ and supervisors’ work. Applying fair and equitable practices across campus is good leadership and the GOAL 2.0 framework and tools enables this. Except where there are other frameworks identified, e.g. with UGFA, or exceptions (CUPE) it is expected that Managers will use the practices, tools and processes outlined in GOAL 2.0.

Is the performance review a disciplinary process?

No! A performance review is the employer’s mechanism to monitor your performance and provide feedback. Discipline should never be discussed or imposed at a performance review.

Is there a cost for these programs?

There are fees associated with some of our technical programs as they are offered on a cost-recovery basis due to the necessity to engage professional technology instructors.

Is there a difference between performance goals and development plans?

Performance goals focus on an end result while a development plan focuses on the attainment of skills and knowledge and the discovery of effective strategies to attain and sustain desired results. Both of these should work hand in hand to ensure an employee understands what success is and has the knowledge, skills and information resources required to be successful.

Is there a penalty for cancelling?

For technical programs, the full registration fee will be charged for sessions that are not attended or for cancellations received with less than five business days notice prior to the session when we are not able to fill your spot.

Is there an audit process?

To ensure that benefit plans are protected, Sun Life currently audits approximately 1 out of 8 e-claims, validates provider information and monitors claiming patterns.

If your claim is audited, the audit will be completed before payment is made to your bank account.  Sun Life may ask you to provide your receipts within 15 days, to support your claim.  Receipts can be scanned and sent by email, sent by fax or by regular mail to Sun Life.  Sun Life usually requires a few days to complete the audit and then make payment, if appropriate.  The my Sun Life website will provide you with further details.

My job fact sheet requires me to be on call for emergencies. How does this policy apply to me?

A: The Disconnecting from Work policy is meant to reinforce respectful boundaries for contacting employees outside of working hours. While employees are permitted to contact each other outside of working hours – and there may be an expectation to do so, particularly when an individual is on-call for emergencies – the policy encourages everyone to be respectful of each other’s time away from work. Supervisors should ensure that no employee is on call at all times and that those who have on-call periods have an appropriate amount of time between on-call shifts.

Q: Will the University address workload demands that cause employees to stay connected outside of working hours?

A: The University strives to support work-life balance for all its employees. If you have concerns about your workload, please speak with your supervisor.

Someone I don’t report to regularly contacts me outside of work hours and expects a quick response. What should I do?

A: If the person is contacting you for something that is not an emergency, reinforce your own boundaries by responding during your regular work hours. If the individual continues to contact you outside of work hours, speak with your supervisor about expectations and for assistance managing the situation.

Supervisors - Am I allowed to contact my employees after hours?

A: The Disconnecting from Work policy is meant to reinforce respectful boundaries for contacting employees outside of working hours. While employees/supervisors are permitted to contact each other outside of working hours, particularly for emergencies when an individual is on call, the policy encourages everyone to be respectful of each other’s time away from work.

Before you send an after-hours email, consider whether the message can wait until regular hours.

If your team is working toward a deadline that requires additional work outside of regular hours, be clear with your team in advance about expectations, how long the requirement will last and how their extra time will be recorded. In such a scenario, be particularly mindful of when you are contacting employees and be sure to follow through on commitments to lieu time.

Be mindful of how employees interpret messages from you and what they may infer about your expectations. If you are sending a message at the end of the day on a Friday to clear something off your to-do list, your employees may interpret that as an expectation they respond over the weekend. If you don’t require a response before Monday, make that clear in your message.

Supervisors - Do supervisors and executives have the right to disconnect?

A: Yes, the Disconnecting from Work policy applies to every employee at the University of Guelph.

Supervisors - I supervise an employee who works flex hours/I supervise faculty who do not regularly work within the University’s standard hours. Do I have to be available to respond to that employee outside of my own work hours?

A: The Disconnecting from Work policy applies to every employee at the University of Guelph. You are encouraged to set expectations with those who report to you about when you will be available to them. Speak with your team to reach an understanding of availability. For instance, outside of an emergency, you may not be available before 8 a.m. or after 5 p.m.

The Disconnecting from Work policy is not one-size-fits-all. It is a universal principle that will have individual application.

Supervisors - The nature of our work requires someone from my team to be on call 24/7. How does this policy apply?

A: In rare situations, a unit may require coverage 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In this situation, ensure that no one employee is expected to be on call at all times. Distribute accountability within your team. Make sure your employees clearly understand what qualifies as an emergency and what expectations are when they are on call.

The University pays for my smartphone. Am I expected to answer calls on it outside of regular work hours?

A: Speak with your supervisor about expectations for availability outside of work hours.

There are many strategic initiatives underway at U of G (wellness @ work, diversity and inclusion, etc). How does GOAL 2.0 fit in with these strategies?

Each of the initiatives are guided by their specific objectives and governance structure. However, there are shared principles and interests, most specifically related to ensuring our workplace is respectful, inclusive and engaging and that each person’s safety and well-being are paramount as they contribute to the university. The skills of Connect, Adapt and Align and having Quality Conversations very much support the shared principles and interests.

To submit expenses online, do I first need to register for the member website, “my Sun Life”?

Yes.  To use e-claims you need to first register at You can get step by step registration information by reviewing “Accessing my Sun Life” or from the video.

To submit an e-claim, you must also first register for direct deposit and e-mail notification of payment.  With this all in place, you will experience real-time adjudication, instant notification as well as direct payment to your bank account within 48 hours.

To whom should I address my cover letter?

If you do not know the name of the hiring manager, we recommend that you address your cover letter to ‘Hiring Manager’ or ‘Hiring Committee’.

Under this new policy, is my supervisor allowed to contact me (call, email or text) outside of work hours?

A: The Disconnecting from Work policy is meant to reinforce respectful boundaries for contacting employees outside of working hours.

While employees are permitted to contact each other outside of regular work hours, the policy encourages everyone to be respectful of each other’s time away from work. The policy may be used to set expectations around situations when it is necessary to contact someone outside of work hours (e.g., an emergency) and when that contact can wait.

Instead of sending an email or making a call after hours when you happen to be thinking about a work topic, wait and reach out in the morning. Disconnecting from work is essential to work-life balance and mental health.

What do I do if I disagree with my supervisor’s assessment of me?

The first response is to share your disagreement with your supervisor during the performance planning dialogue or review meeting. It is beneficial at that time to share your perspective and any supporting data you can provide and to invite your supervisor to do the same. This process may help you and your supervisor to come to an agreement.

In the case where considerable effort has been made to reach an agreement without success, you may want to add a reply to the performance form if you feel that it is inaccurate or there are mitigating factors. You will still need to sign the document – signing indicates that it has been discussed, and does not indicate agreement.

What do I do if my manager does not want to participate in the G.O.A.L. program?

Managers across the university will have various levels of comfort with the stages of G.O.A.L. and some may resist the process all together. If you have taken the initiative to communicate your desire to engage in the performance planning, assessment and development program and your manager has refused, contact your HR Consultant.

What do I do with my expense receipts after the claim is paid?

Sun Life requires you to keep your receipts and other claim documentation for 12 months, as e-claims are subject to audit.

What does 'seasonal' work mean?

A typical seasonal work period runs from late August until late April. Layoff periods typically include up to three weeks at Christmas, one week in February and during the spring/summer months of May, June, July & August. Different operating units have different requirements.

What does “disconnecting from work” mean?

A: The term “disconnecting from work” is defined in the Employment Standards Act, 2000 to mean not engaging in work-related communications, including emails, telephone calls, video calls or sending or reviewing other messages, to be free from the performance of work.

What else should I be prepared for?

Shifts are busy, expect to be on your feet.  Some jobs may require you to lift 15-30lbs.

What happens if someone continues to expect me to work outside of my regularly scheduled hours?

A: If you find that colleagues or others in the University are preventing you from disconnecting outside of work, report your concerns or issues in writing to your immediate supervisor.

If you are concerned that your supervisor is not following the requirements in the policy, contact your HR consultant or your FASR consultant.

What happens when I make my first paramedical e-claim?

For the initial claim, you will be prompted to enter the provider’s details, which Sun Life will validate and store on the system for future claims.  The information you need to enter should be available from your practitioner’s receipt.

What if I cannot submit my application by email?

To ensure your application is processed efficiently and securely, email applications are strongly encouraged.  If you are unable to apply by email, Human Resources will accept hard copy applications at the HR Reception desk located on the 5th floor of the University Centre (south elevators).

What if I don’t know my central Login and ID?

If you don’t know your central login or password, you can ask your department I.T. Administrator, take your U of G photo ID to the CCS IT Help Desk on the main floor of the McLaughlin Library or call the CCS Help Line at x58888 for assistance.

What if I missed the deadline to apply?

Applications received after 11:59 pm on the closing date listed on the Careers @ Guelph website will not be considered.


What if I’m interested in applying for more than one currently advertised position?

A separate application is required for each position you wish to apply for.

What is a Job Fact Sheet (JFS)?

The job fact sheet (JFS) serves as the source document that defines job duties, responsibilities, and requirements for a position.  It provides baseline information that is used to assign a position to the appropriate employee group and is analysed to determine the relative value of the position to the University of Guelph. A number of human resource processes, such as recruitment, performance planning, assessment and development, as well as the identification of learning and development needs, access the job fact sheet for information.

What is being reviewed?
  • Outcomes of staff’s work (goals and objectives met, e.g., development of a new accounting process)
  • Competencies (knowledge, skills, behaviours)
  • New learning and/or completion of identified developmental goals
What is Job Evaluation?

Job Evaluation (JE) is the process of objectively determining the relative worth of jobs within an organization. It involves a systematic study and analysis of job duties and requirements. The evaluation is based on a number of compensable factors. Job evaluation can measure the value of all jobs within an organization and produces a rank order ranging from entry level positions to the most senior positions within an organization. It provides a framework to administer pay.

What is the Performance Planning Dialogue?

Held on an annual basis, the Performance Planning Dialogue provides an opportunity to establish specific performance expectations and work goals and review the position.

The Performance Planning Dialogue is a key mechanism to communicate priorities for the year and ensure everyone works toward achieving them. This takes place during the last quarter of the year in preparation for the new year and should be recorded for future reference.

What is the role of the Supervisor/Manager in the G.O.A.L. program?

The Supervisor/Manager is responsible for ensuring their staff has everything they need to be successful in their role - G.O.A.L. helps that happen by providing a structure for consistency. The role of the Supervisor/Manager in G.O.A.L. is to take the initiative to connect with the staff at each step of the process, to listen to the staff, to provide relevant information and effective feedback, and to document the discussions to guide follow up action and for future reference.

What is the Salary Grid?

The salary grid is comprised of salary bands. Each band generally has a corresponding salary range usually with a minimum, a job rate or midpoint and a maximum. In some cases, i.e., the USW and the Exempt group, there are also a number of levels with the range that are achieved at the completion of certain intervals of time on the job.

What is the wage?

Our part-time hospitality positions start at minimum wage with increases beginning after 12 months of continuous employment. As these positions are represented by the University of Guelph Food Services Employee Association, Unit 2 (UGFSEA, Unit 2), a comprehensive wage grid can be viewed on our Human Resources website.

What kind of training will I get?

We approach training of our staff in a very interactive and practical manner which typically consists of supervised hands-on experience and job shadowing.  

What makes a performance review successful?
  • Its linkage to other processes
  • Manager/Supervisor’s commitment to the process
  • Manager/Supervisor’s awareness of all pieces that need to be in place
  • Manager/Supervisor’s objectivity
  • Manager/Supervisor’s training
  • Manager/Supervisor’s and staff’s preparation for the assessment
  • Accountability for ensuring it happens and happens effectively
  • Consistency of scope and of language
  • Timing and timeliness of the assessment
  • Pre-determined schedule
What support does Human Resources offer for the G.O.A.L. program?

Human Resources offers managers a variety of support and resources to help managers and staff with G.O.A.L.

  • Contact your HR Consultant for advice and guidance as you embark on the G.O.A.L. cycle.
  • Learning & Development offers learning supports for managers, including leadership development programs.
When do I complete a Job Fact Sheet?

You may be writing a Job Fact Sheet (JFS) because it has been determined that a new position is required to meet operational requirements. A JFS is required as part of the Hiring Review Package when creating a new position or filling an existing vacant position.  If you are uncertain which template to access, please contact your HR Consultant or the Job Evaluation Team.

You may be rewriting an existing position because it has changed. Some changes may be minor or slight and can therefore be submitted to Human Resources (HR) as an update.  If the current JFS is older than three (3) years it should be rewritten and submitted with the current date even if there are no changes.

However if the changes are significant, (i.e., a major change in the type and level of work being performed), then submitting the JFS to HR as a re-class request is appropriate.

All JFS should be scanned and submitted with the required signatures.

New position

When a new position is created it is assigned a tentative evaluation in order to determine the employee group and the appropriate rate of pay.   After an incumbent has been in the position for three months, the JFS needs to be scanned and submitted to HR with all of the required signatures.  The JFS will then be forwarded to the appropriate job evaluation committee for a formal evaluation.  Supervisors and incumbents will be informed of these results.

Reclass Request

A department may request that a position be reclassified because there have been significant changes in the responsibilities or the requirements of the position.  The JFS needs to be accompanied by a letter outlining clearly what these changes are; the letter must be approved by the dean/director of the college/directorate.


Any JFS that has not been evaluated in the last five (5) years will be reviewed by the respective job evaluation committee in order to maintain job evaluation.

When to Write a Job Fact Sheet?

A Job Fact Sheet (JFS) is written when it has been determined that a new position is required to meet operational requirements.  In this case it is very likely that the supervisor of the new position will draft the JFS as he/she determines the job specifications, requirements and qualifications.  A JFS is required as part of the Hiring Review Package when creating a new position or filling an existing vacant position.  If there is uncertainty as to which template to access, please contact your HR Consultant or the Job Evaluation Consultant.

 An existing position may be rewritten because it has changed.  Some changes may be minor or slight and can therefore be submitted to HR as an update.  If the current JFS is older than three (3) years it should be reviewed (rewritten if required) and submitted with the current date even if there are no changes.  This is a matter of best practice and ensures that the position has been reviewed for completeness and accuracy.  The JFS can be written by an incumbent or the supervisor.

If the changes are significant, (i.e., a major change in the type and level of work being performed, different skill set, different education and qualifications ), then submitting the JFS to HR as a reclassification request is appropriate.  The JFS can be written by the incumbent and/or the supervisor.  If there are significant changes as the department is experiencing restructuring, the supervisor may write the JFS.

It is anticipated that an incumbent will sign the JFS; in the event they choose not to sign the JFS, it will still be subject to the processes described above.  Whether a JFS is new, a reclassification request or an update, all JFS’s must be submitted electronically with an up to date organizational chart reflecting current department and position numbers as well as job titles.  Please note that submissions without an organizational chart or missing job information will be returned to departments in order to have all the necessary required information.

Please note:  OSSTF positions that are temporary full-time of greater than 1 year are also subject to the job evaluation process.

The job evaluation system, process, and structure for USW positions continues to be developed.  When this moves to implementation, there will be additional communication.  In the interim JFS for these positions will continue to be received when a position is posted.  Should a position experience significant changes or updated, it should be submitted electronically as noted above.

Where do I find information about Retiree Benefits?

Retiree benefit information can be found on the Retiree Benefits webpage.

Where do I take notes on my conversations with employees? What if it’s something serious?

Each manager can choose their preferred method for keeping notes of highlights, decisions, actions that come out of a quality conversation. A spreadsheet or a table will work, or sharing an email that briefly summarizes. Not all conversations will require it, so managers will use their own discretion. It could also be helpful to have the employee summarize in an email.

Documentation is required when a performance challenge has been identified. If it is a serious incident or an ongoing issue that needs to be addressed, two things are important to attend to: 1) contact your HR Consultant to get input on what action and documentation is required; and 2) the incident or issue is written down with sufficient detail, accompanied by details of the agreed upon action to be taken.

Which expenses can I submit online?

You can submit claims for:

  • Vision care; glasses and contact lenses,
  • Basic dental expenses for preventative services, recall exams & cleaning,
  • Drug
  • Orthodontics (once an approved treatment plan is on file with Sun Life),
  • Paramedical services for
    • Physiotherapy
    • Psychology
    • Chiropractic services and x-rays
    • Podiatrist services
    • Chiropodist services
    • Massage therapy
    • Naturopathy

For certain claims, Sun Life may require you to provide additional information or supporting documentation before processing your e-claim.  The my Sun Life website will guide you through the process.  

Which expenses must I continue to submit on paper?

While processing an e-claim, the my Sun Life system will advise you if the claim must be submitted by paper. Here are some examples:

  • Major restorative dental claims such as bridges, crowns or dentures
  • Acupuncturist
  • Speech Language Pathologist
  • Hospital room claims
  • Nursing services
  • Coordination of benefits claims
  • Expenses incurred outside of Canada
  • Expenses resulting from a work-related illness or injury, or from a motor vehicle accident
Which plan am I in?

Employees hired by the University on April 1, 1997, as a result of the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs' divestment, who have 10 or more years of service with the Government of Ontario, will receive retirement health and dental benefits from the Government of Ontario, and are not eligible for University plan benefits.

Employees who begin receiving a University of Guelph pension immediately after retirement may opt to continue Extended Health and Dental coverage, on a premium cost-sharing basis. Retirees must select this option within 31 days of retiring from the University. If coverage is discontinued, it cannot be reinstated at a later date.

New Benefit Plan: For employees who retired on or after the following dates:

  • Faculty Association, July 1, 1996
  • CUOE/CEP, July 1, 1996
  • University Police Association, September 1, 1996
  • Professional/Managerial, December 1, 1996
  • CUPE Local 1334, December 1, 1996
  • Food Service Employees Association, March 1, 1997
  • Ontario Nurses Association, March 1, 1997
  • College Academic and Research Group, April 1, 1997
  • Exempt Group, July 1, 1997
  • Staff Assoc / USWA Local 4120, January 1, 1998

Old Benefit Plan: For employees who retired before the dates above:

Employees who retired before the dates for the New Plan and who have coverage under the Old Plan, may transfer to the New Plan. If you wish to switch to the New Plan, you should contact a Human Resource Service Assistant (519-824-4120 ext. 53374)

Who do I call if I am having difficulty with the “my Sun Life” website?

If you are having difficulty with submitting claims or with the website, please call the Sun Life Customer Care Centre at 1-800-361-6212. You can also send secure messages from the website to the Customer Care Centre.

Who initiates GOAL 2.0 and the two-way conversations through the year?

It is the Manager’s responsibility to support their employees’ performance so it follows that the Manager would most often be the one to initiate Quality Conversations, which are two-way conversations. However, this does not preclude an employee from initiating a conversation with their manager when required. Asking for what you need is a positive element of effective self-management

Who is eligible for learning and development opportunities?

All regular full-time staff and faculty are eligible for Learning & Development opportunities. Some programs are designed for specific audiences. Please see the program description for more information.

Why do we have Job Evaluation?

Job evaluation ensures that jobs with the same or comparable responsibilities and requirements are similarly compensated. As a public sector employer we are obligated to maintain pay equity and job evaluation is integral to this requirement.

Why is the University implementing an Electronic Monitoring Policy?

In 2022, the Ontario government passed Bill 88 – the “Working for Workers Act” – that requires organizations with 25 or more employees to have a written policy about electronic monitoring of employees.

Learn more about requirements under the Employment Standards Act, 2000 (ESA) covering the electronic monitoring of employees.

What is “electronic monitoring”?

For the purpose of the University’s policy, electronic monitoring is a broad term that generally refers to a system or tool’s ability to report on its usage or user interaction.

Why should staff use G.O.A.L.?

An effective G.O.A.L. program makes for better outcomes for staff, managers, units and the University as a whole.

Using G.O.A.L. appropriately will help staff in the following ways:

  • Clear expectations of work required
  • Relevance of work to the ‘bigger picture’
  • Recognize accomplishments
  • Allow for consideration of resources
  • Clarify dependence on others
  • Give weight and relevance to individual development
  • Provide a framework for support
Will my email be forwarded to the Hiring Manager?

Only your attachments will be forwarded to the Hiring Manger, so please be sure to include your cover letter in the attachment – not in the body of your email.

Will the performance review process in the G.O.A.L. program be tied to pay or merit?

With respect to the Professional and Managerial positions the salary pool committed to pay for performance will be distributed in accordance with the performance assessment and development results and the staff's position in the salary band. For all staff groups, performance assessment and development results function independent of compensation.